Monday, November 21, 2011

A Very Veggie Thanksgiving

If you don't already know: I'm a vegetarian.

Well, actually, I'm a pescetarian. I don't eat red meat or poultry but I do eat fish, eggs, and dairy. I've been a vegetarian (pescetarian, whatever) for over two years and this is my second Thanksgiving as a vegetarian. In my two years as a veggie, I've noticed that it's usually around the holidays when people start to get weary of my dietary choices: What do you eat? Aren't you gonna starve? You can't be full! You need some turkey on your plate…

Actually, I'll have lots of veggies, I won't starve, I will most definitely be very full, and I'll pass on the turkey, thank you.

Last year, I kept it pretty simple with lots of veggie side dishes and no main protein. This year, my mom announced that she's "not making a tofurkey or whatever you call it", which is totally fine because: a. I'm not even remotely interested in a tofurkey, and b. I don't expect anyone to accommodate my somewhat unconventional diet (something that comes with being a vegetarian). So, I'm on my own for prepping a vegetarian option. I was thinking about doing something a little special -- adding a little class to my sans turkey Thanksgiving plate with this recipe:

Roasted Salmon with Cranberry-Mustard Sauce

I hope mine looks as delicious as this! via
The cranberries were definitely the selling point for me.

What do you have planned for Thanksgiving? Are you a vegetarian or do you have any vegetarians in your family? What do you/they do on this turkey filled holiday?

No comments: