Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Resolutions

While everyone is endlessly going on about the holidays, I've been thinking about New Year's Resolutions. 

What's yours? Have you even thought about it? 
I have two: use less toilet paper and read more. 
(Is that TMI? Whatever, it's real!

I'm not even sure what the word "less" means, really. Like, only use 2 or 3 squares per wipe? I don't know about that.  Maybe I'll make it more general and change my resolution to: "be more mindful when using paper products". I mean, I know I could definitely cut back on all paper products, including printing paper (my job entails LOTS of paper. It's disturbing, actually).

Revised New Year's Resolutions: 
be more mindful when using paper products
read more often.
I like it.

Anyway. What I'm trying to say here is that you should be thinking about your New Year's Resolutions.
Think about it for a day or two... or a week...
It should be a reasonable, achievable, AND sustainable goal. 

Do your research. 
 (did you know I work in research?)

Your NYR can't be, "I want to lose 20 lbs by the end of the week". It should be more like, "I want to make an effort to work out at least twice a week" or "I plan to run at least 3 road races in 2012".
AND
Your NYR can't be, "I'll run outside every day" if it's darker than dark outside when you wake up at 5AM and when you're done with work at 5PM. 
Make sure your NYR is plausible.

Also, consider things/events/people/feelings that could potentially keep you from achieving your NYR and come up with solutions to these "obstacles". When you have a goal, it's good to have a back-up plan just in case sh*t hits the fan. 

After you've thought it all through, create a reasonable plan and make your sweet little NYR happen.

winter sky via Rob
It takes more than just a quick thought to come up with a New Year's Resolution. 
Take some time now and think about it, plan it, and make it happen. 
You'll be happy you did come January 1st.
 

No comments: