Friday, January 13, 2012

Fit Friday

HIIT.
You've heard me talk about it before, but what exactly is HIIT and why is it so amazing?
HIIT is technically defined as: an exercise strategy alternating periods of short intense anaerobic exercise with less-intense recovery periods.
Basically, sprints.
Doesn't that sound lovey?
It's like you're back in high school sports running up and down the field working your ass off.
Lovely.
Well, take those memories and preconceived notions and FORGET THEM.
And then try HIIT.
You'll thank me in a month.

But, back to the technical stuff. I need to be somewhat credible here.
(This is super simplified, some of this stuff is way over my head, but believe me, it just works.)
Basically, when you're going all out, your body uses different muscle fibers that are not normally used during extended periods of steady cardio.
Somehow the use of these different muscle fibers enhances your body's ability to burn carbohydrates, which in turn, causes your body to burn fat…. For hours after you exercise. 
Now, that doesn't happen with long/steady/boring cardio

Here’s why I love HIIT:
1. Fights Boredom: I used to LOATHE the treadmill. Like, really loathe. Like, I couldn't stay on the thing for more than a mile. But then, I was introduced to HIIT and now I actually look forward to my time with Mr. Tready. Seriously, there's nothing better than challenging yourself to finish those sprinting intervals and then rewarding yourself with a recovery period.
2. Increases Cardiovascular Endurance: So when I do have a big chunk of time that I want to spend running, I can, because HIIT helps to build endurance.
3. Less Time, More Results: I mean, could it get any better than that? You burn more calories in 40 minutes of HIIT than 40 minutes of steady cardio.
4. Versatility: HIIT is so versatile --  you can use it in almost any physical activity (cycling, running, walking, swimming, and even yoga) and can be altered in any number of ways (i.e., your tolerance for sprinting intervals may be drastically different than your friend's, but that's ok, you'll build up endurance and speed as you do more HIIT).

 
1- fishing/snorkeling/sunset cruise
2- enjoying the first sunset of the vacation
3- eagle pose
4- rob with puppy. awwwww

No comments: